Wednesday, 10 June 2009

Undo / Redo pretty much anywhere

You can undo and redo pretty much anywhere, even if there's no menu available for it. Definitely works on Windows, Mac too, if I remember rightly, and pretty much standard across all major browsers.

How to Undo / Redo

The keyboard shortcuts work even when there's no menu available. So what are they?
For undo, it's <ctrl>z
and for redo, it's <ctrl>y

This is a shorthand way of saying that you press and hold the key marked 'ctrl' ('opt' on Macs) and while holding it press the 'z' key once. Yes, 'y' is the same.

So you can try it, I've put a Google search box below. No need to click the button (unless you want to) just type something, then undo (<ctrl>z), then redo (<ctrl>y). See, it works!


Type a couple of words, select one of them, type any old letter, then undo. See if it works on multiple 'undo's and 'redo's.

This works in ordinary Windows dialog boxes, too... also in the browser address bar. As I said, pretty much anywhere :)

I hope this one saves you cursing when you type in a load of stuff and accidentally delete it!

10 comments:

Joan Sicignano Artist said...

Your black and white photo's are incredible. Thank you for visiting my blog. I will be returning to your blog many times.

Highton-Ridley said...

Thanks for your lovely words, Joan. I'll look forward to seeing you around :)

Sandy K. said...

Your hints are appropriate and useful...now all I have to do is remember them. Maybe I'll start a cheat sheet. And me a teacher:)!

Mojo said...

Definitely has saved me a TON of hair loss over the years. One thing that you might mention is that in some applications (Photoshop being one of them) ctrl-Z will only undo you last change. Pressing it again "undoes the undo" and effectively functions the same as ctrl-y. Which in Photoshop can be handy if you're trying to decide if you like a change. You can turn it on and off repeatedly by hammering on the ctrl-z combo and watching the difference. Also, how many "levels of undo" you have is dependent on the application. Some of them have a really large buffer for backing out changes, some not so much. All of them have a limit (they have to, otherwise you wind up running something out of space) and it's probably also affected by system resources (i.e. how much memory the program can allocate for preserving states and how they're stored.)

But in a general way, yeah... this is a lifesaver. Not sure it wold work in Linux, since UNIX translates ctrl-Z as "suspend in background". But it's possible the applications written or ported to Linux have taken this into account. And chances are if you're a Linux user, you already know this anyway ;)

Clever idea you have for this blog. Very useful stuff.

Highton-Ridley said...

Great addition Mojo - thx. Good point about photoshop. I'd add that [ctrl][alt][z] does achieve a repeated undo in PS.

Cheers,
Mark

mkreider said...

Lots of great ideas here. Curious to see what else you'll come up with. Your photography is fabulous... color and Black & White!

f8hasit said...

I left a really long, insightful comment about one of your photographs on another post and deleted it, by accident of course.

Only to find here in an earlier post you told me how to 'redo' what I typed.

Figures!
:-)

Love your work BTW..

Highton-Ridley said...

Thanks for the comment f8hasit. Didn't u know I'm also prescient, lol!

And thanks for the compliment on my bw work :D

Blissseeker said...

This tip saved me a few times tonight! Thank you ever so much!

tjustleft said...

Good tip. I try undo no mater where I'm typing. It doesn't hurt to try.